Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wintergirls

Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
Goodreads Rating: 3.97
My Rating: 3.5
Pages: 278 

Reviewed by: Amy

Goodreads Synopsis: 


“Dead girl walking,” the boys say in the halls.
“Tell us your secret,” the girls whisper, one toilet to another.
I am that girl.
I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.
I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.

Lia and Cassie were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies. But now Cassie is dead. Lia's mother is busy saving other people's lives. Her father is away on business. Her step-mother is clueless. And the voice inside Lia's head keeps telling her to remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less. If she keeps on going this way—thin, thinner, thinnest—maybe she'll disappear altogether.

In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the National Book Award finalist Speak, best-selling author Laurie Halse Anderson explores one girl's chilling descent into the all-consuming vortex of anorexia. 


Review: 

I wanted to read this because I really loved the book Speak. I really enjoy the author's almost poetic writing. The way she was able to show the mind of a deeply troubled teen with all the identity issues and additional problems with anorexia was amazing.

I really liked the flashbacks that were inserted randomly in the story. It really let you get the sense of being in Lia's head as she remembers he friend.

Her transformation from the start of the book until the end was truly awesome. The mind of a girl with anorexia is horribly complicated and you could see the trouble that it cause not only her but her family. You got to see her go through the guilt of losing her friend, trying to play it off as nothing, and still trying to lose weight. It was interesting to see how almost every girl has the same thoughts as Lia at some point ("I shouldn't eat that", "Ugg I'm so fat", "I don't deserve to eat that cookie because I ate so much today").

It was sweet to see how much she loves her sister. Her sister sees her doing something she shouldn't, and that's when Lia realizes what she's doing is wrong and that she's not strong for doing it. The ending with Lia and Cassie was amazingly touching and you'll have to read it to truly see it :)

It was a great book (I think I like Speak a little more). I highly recommend it to anyone who appreciates Anderson's books.
Nicole

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read any Anderson yet, but I've heard a lot about Speak. This book is going on my list though, she seems like such a good author! Thanks for the review (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of her books, but I heard a lot of good things about this writer. Seems like a great book, thanks for the review!

    & I follow you now. Found you on Goodreads :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...