Monday, June 25, 2012

Glitch

Author: Heather Anastasiu
Goodreads Rating: 3.85
My Rating: 4 Stars
Pages: 371
Reviewed By: Nicole


I won't lie, I totally judge a book by its cover. And this book made me glad that I did because look how pretty that is! I got this book from the publisher on Netgalley.


Goodreads Synopses:


In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.

I was expecting a more Sci-fi kind of book, which it was, but I would categorize this book more as a dystopian book. Sure the book talks about all this new technology that we have but at the core the book is about how humanity "failed" and a new more corrupt system took its place. 


I thought it was interesting as I was reading that the people in the community all saw only in grey so that no one would be different, no one would have a different hair color or different clothes or freckles, or birthmarks, everyone would be the same. However when you look at the cover of this books all you see is color and vibrancy and it makes me what to go out an buy a copy of this book just because of how pretty it is.


I liked that I could relate to Zoe in a way. She has this undying devotion for her brother who doesn't even realize it, and then there was her complete trust in Adrien. Okay, so maybe it was a little strange her total trust, but it was a sort of romantic gesture. 


What really irritated me was the curse words that were invented like "cracking" it kind of made me a little nuts to keep reading, but I can understand why she added it in. I've noticed that a lot of YA writers will stray away from cursing heavily. There will be the occasional "crap" or "damn" but never much past that, but to portray teenager as kids that never curse is pretty unrealistic. I know that I personally was swearing like a sailor since 8th grade, and although I have gotten better, it remains something that teenagers do, if not all the time then at least in times of crisis and high anxiety like many of the YA books out there place their characters in.


I think the sign of a good book is when you can feel with the characters. Within the confines of this book, I could feel my anxiety rise with Zoe as she navigated all of these difficult emotions and new experiences. To be able to connect like that to a book, I think makes a book worth reading.


This book is going to be a trilogy and so I can't wait to see what the next two books will bring us. This book will be hitting stores on August 7, 2012.
Nicole

3 comments:

  1. thanks for this review, I've been thinking of adding this book to my list

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read this book a couple months ago and loved it. Glad you enjoyed it too. Good review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Like the cover too! Need to add this one on my list for this summer.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Lucie
    http://newbooksonmyselves.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...