Monday, November 5, 2012

When Passion Rules

Author: Johanna Lindsey
Goodreads rating: 3.64/5
My rating: 4/5
Pages: 421

Reviewed by: Amy

Forced to flee Napoleon’s rampaging army on the continent, orphaned Alana Farmer and her eccentric guardian make a new home for themselves in London. There, Alana enjoys every privilege a daughter of the nobility could hope for, plus an education fit for a queen. Now, on the eve of her debut into London Society, she learns the shocking secret of her birthright. Can it be true? Is she really the lost princess of the European kingdom of Lubinia? Persuaded by her guardian to return to their homeland to quell a bloody revolt, Alana finds herself in an isolated, mountainous country whose customs strike her as medieval!With controversy and intrigue brewing around the beautiful newcomer, Christoph Becker, the captain of the palace guards, arrests Alana on suspicion that she is either a wily imposter or a seductive spy working for the shadowy figures determined to depose the king. No stranger himself to seduction, Christoph uses every means at his disposal to draw the truth from his alluring prisoner, even if he must lay his own life on the line to protect her from harm. Now, as a fiery passion flares between Alana and the man who has wrongly imprisoned her, the fate of a nation rests in their hands and on their hearts.


This was a new book, for me. I usually like to stay toward the paranormal side of romances but this book was actually a nice change-up. I simply couldn't put this book down! It had the essence of a mystery that made you want to keep reading to see what happened next. However, there was one tiny thing that irked me enough to give it only 4/5 stars. But I will talk about that later. Firs the things I liked:

The plot, as I said, was great. It was a new concept (for me at least) about a girl who finds out she's a princess of a tiny country and then has to go prove she is the princess to stop a war. Interesting. However, Johanna Lindsey finds ways to put twists upon twists within twists that simply drove me crazy (in a good way)! I won't spoil anything but this is a book to read just to see what those twists are :)

The characters were also very well-developed. Alana is the kind of heroine I like to see in books, smart, sassy and isn't the type to just fall and break her ankle while running from a serial killer. She's strong both internally and externally (that is, she kicks ass literally) and her sarcasm made me chuckle more than a few times. The hero of the story, Christoph, was another great character I loved since his own sarcasm made situations with Alana all the more amusing. I loved every second they butted heads and their relationship was awesome to say the least.

Now for the one thing I didn't like... the ending... It felt like a rushed ending where the author didn't want to continue anymore, so she let it just end. It's really hard to explain this without giving away the ending too much, but I had wished there would be something....more.... to the way it ended.

Overall, this book was great and the only reason I didn't finish it in a day was because of a certain pile of school work that always has to have my attention. Can't wait to read more of her books :)
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...