Friday, December 21, 2012

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files #4)

Author: Jim Butcher
Goodreads rating: 4.27/5
Pages: 446

Harry Dresden's faced some pretty terrifying foes during his career. Giant scorpions. Oversexed vampires. Psychotic werewolves. All par for the course for Chicago's only professional wizard.
But in all Harry's years of supernatural sleuthing, he's never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone completely postal. All over Chicago, ghosts are causing trouble-and not just of the door-slamming, boo-shouting variety. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly.
Someone-or something-is stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? And why do so many of the victims have ties to Harry? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.


I was very satisfied with this book by the end :) These books still continue to crack me up and offer a great twist to the mystery genre. We meet Harry again, but now he is in a full-blown spiral of depression over occurrences in prior books. Adding to his stress, he has the White Council breathing down his neck, the threat of a war he started looming over his head, a surprise shows up that further messes with his head, and now he's gotta deal with faeries (and I'm not talking Tinkerbell here). 

Harry has always been a great character in my book. He's tall, sarcastic as hell, and nothing if not a true gentleman (you know the kind that opens doors for ladies and saves the damsel in distress). These books continue to make me not only chuckle but full on LOL at times. It killed me slightly to see Harry in the state he was in :( But I was happy he made friends from the other books.

I was VERY happy to see the Alphas play a part in this book. Billy is turning into a great assistant/friend to Harry and the whole gang is just awesome! No longer awkward teenagers, you really get to see them kick some serious faerie tail in this book :) (And the ending.... best I've ever read! Who says that just because you look like a muscley stud-muffin means you can't be a geek on the inside ;) But yes, the Alphas, especially Billy, was a great addition to the character list in this book (to stop my rambling, I'm just glad they are continuing to use some characters from other books. ok seriously done now)

There are twists galore! And everyone who has read my reviews knows I love a good "Oh that did NOT just happen!" moment. Some of the surprises I called and therefore wasn't surprised by them, but there were some that just floored me. Mostly revolving around a certain character who comes from Harry's past re-emerging and low-and-behold is still a bit-... female dog (excuse my potty mouth). You don't really know who's side she's on (she kind of flip-flops) so I'm eager to see if we will ever find out. 

Like I said with talking about the Alphas, I love a happy ending, and this ending was one of the best so far ("Lord, what fools these mortals be." Oh Billy Shakespeare in a book of faeries). It cracked me up and just put a big smile on my face to see Harry getting better. I don't know if this is my favorite of the series yet, but it's definitely up there just because of the ending. This book got 4.5 stars for me just because the story line was slow at some parts, but overall everything comes together perfectly (although I am still a little confused 

over some of the "why the bad guy did it" parts) but overall, great book :)


The Courts Decision:






Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...