Monday, February 25, 2013

The Innocents

Author: Lili Peloquin
Goodreads Rating: 3.51
My Rating: 3.75 Stars
Pages: 288
Reviewed by: Nicole

Nothing ever came between sisters Alice and Charlie.Friends didn't.Boys couldn't.Their family falling apart never would.Until they got to Serenity Point."The Innocents" is the first in a new series of young adult novels that weave a saga of nail-biting drama, breathless romance, and gothic mystery.


I'm a little bit at a loss for what to say about this. At the end I was really pleased, but at the same time the whole rest of the book felt a little lost to me. We followed the story of the two sisters, but it felt like it was a book more about Alice, the older sister. We got a glimpse into Charlie's life, but at the end it felt like we hardly discussed her. I got attached to her sprialing out of control story, and wanted to know more.


I did like their sisterly bond until it did fall apart as they both adjusted to their lives in this new town. Considering that the book only takes places over the span of only two weeks, it would seem that their bond isn't as strong as they thought. Both of them were interesting and distinct not only in their looks, but also their personalities. 

A lot of the characters in this book had great personalities, but to be honest, it reminded me of Gossip Girl on the beach. Jude reminded me a lot of Chuck although the whole cousin love thing was a little bizarre. The other thing that was strange with Alice and Tommy and how she looked just like Camilla, her dead stepsister and how Tommy seemed to love her.

This book also attacked me with some insta-love, which was a little ick. Luckily it wasn't in your face, but it got under my skin when these two characters said I love you. As I said, this book takes place over two weeks. I felt that Alice was very morbidly obsessed with Camilla, which was strange in the least.

I liked some of the techniques that Peloquin used when writing this book, and I am excited to check out the second book in this series.
Nicole

1 comment:

  1. This series was very much like GG. A little ridiculous, a little amusing, and kinda addictive all the way around.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...