Monday, April 22, 2013

The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium Series #2)

Author: Steig Larsson
Goodreads Rating: 4.16
Format: Audiobook



Mikael Blomkvist, crusading journalist and publisher of the magazine Millennium, has decided to run a story that will expose an extensive sex trafficking operation between Eastern Europe and Sweden, implicating well-known and highly placed members of Swedish society, business, and government.
But he has no idea just how explosive the story will be until, on the eve of publication, the two investigating reporters are murdered. And even more shocking for Blomkvist: the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to Lisbeth Salander—the troubled, wise-beyond-her-years genius hacker who came to his aid in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and who now becomes the focus and fierce heart of The Girl Who Played with Fire.
As Blomkvist, alone in his belief in Salander’s innocence, plunges into an investigation of the slayings, Salander herself is drawn into a murderous hunt in which she is the prey, and which compels her to revisit her dark past in an effort to settle with it once and for all.

When I started to read this book, or rather, listen to it, a lot of people told me that it wasn't as good as the first book. I, of course, had to see this for myself. While I found that the book wasn't the same as the first one, I didn't hate this one. I was frustrated by only a few things, and it really wasn't as good as the first.

One of the things that frustrated me most was the constant mention of "All The Evil" in those words. I felt like it was mentioned constantly, and it only served to make me mad that I had to wait to find out what "All The Evil" was. I totally understand wanting to keep certain facts back when writing a book, but this just served to annoy me because it wasn't as though we got little clues as to what it was.

This plot made me more sad than the first one because this one was about the sex trade, and the event that kicks off the investigation into Lisbeth is the murder of a young couple which is always tragic. I was glad that Blomkvist chose to believe in Lisbeth as someone needed to defend her. 

It was also tragic how mishandled her entire case was. That the police chose to take one avenue of investigation and go with it rather than try to see what else could have possibly happened in the three different murders. 

One thing that sort of irks me about the books was how Lisbeth was bisexual and seemed to keep changing her mind. I have no problems with her sexual preference, or how she chose to live her life, I just felt like I was constantly being tugged in different directions and she spend the first book shagging Blomkvist and this book with her on and off girlfriend Mimi.

I can see why people liked this book less, and why people think that it was written more by his girlfriend than by him. It did seem to suffer from a sophomore slump although that doesn't make me want to read the third book any less. In fact, its already loaded on my computer. All I'm waiting for is for Mike to catch up and read this book so I don'd get ahead of him.



The Courts Decision:


Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...