Monday, June 24, 2013

Posession

Author: Elana Johnson
Goodreads Rating: 3.60
Pages: 405
Format: Finished Copy from ARCycle
DNF: Page 150


Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even thinkabout kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.
But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.
This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.


In case you were confused DNF means Did Not Finish, and because of that I wasn't planning on doing a post about this book. I have only done one DNF post about a book and that was because it was for a Goodreads Giveaway. I wasn't going to do it for this book either, but since I got it from ARCycle, I do have to do some sort of post.

I gave up on this book about 150 pages in. Could it have gotten better? Sure, but after 150 pages, everything seemed so silly and pointless and I didn't feel like wasting my time pushing through when I just didn't feel that the writing was there.

For starters, The whole Goodies and Baddies was a little simplistic and I felt that the world building was inadequit. We started to get some idea of how this team of "Greens" controlled the populace, but I felt so disoriented for the first 100 pages, that by the time I felt that the book had a groove, I just didn't care. I sort of liked the idea of this whole overarching theme that there was a government that controlled everything and you had to plug into them at night where they filled you with propaganda against behavior they deemed unfavorable.

Where this book really lost me was when we got two love interests in 20 pages. Girlfriend was promised to one guy and then snuggled against another? Within a day of being separated from the other? Vi had no problem making moves so soon after being separated from her "Love." The whole romance aspect of this book really blew my mind in a totally bad way. I wasn't a fan of how Vi blew her entire life off for Jag.

Actually, none of Vi's actions made a lick of sense and it was irritating. She seemed to forgive Jag after he abandoned her, and ughhh there was just so much wrong with this book. Like how she and Jag bared their souls to each other and then they had a small tift, and that was that for awhile. There seemed to be some special aspect to it, like Vi had some sort of mind control over the technology, but I didn't stick around to find out.

All in all, very disappointing.
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...