Thursday, April 3, 2014

The 100

Author: Kass Morgan
Goodreads Rating: 3.43
Pages: 323
Format: ARC from BEA13


In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.
Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.

I had so been looking forward to The 100. My older sister was able to snag me a copy while we were at BEA, and my level of excitement was through the roof because I hadn't even seen it there and man did I want it. You can see how exited I was just to the right of me here. Please excuse how much of a Hot Mess I was, it was the end of BEA Day 1 which is just a tremendous feat in and of itself.

So I had been dying to get to read it for myself, and I finally managed to do so, and I was pleasantly surprised, abet a little let down. I think I had built up too my hype for myself and that my friends who read the book before me did the same, totally not on purpose but it happened.

I think the biggest deterrent for me was the 3rd person 4 Points of View. I was a little lost at first, which is something that is standard, but what killed me was that the book wasn't long enough nor were the chapters. And some characters got 3 pages, while others got 10. It was a little lop sided which made it somewhat difficult to really connect with them.

What I did love was that we got these flashbacks. Each chapter was half real time and half this is what got them there. We learned what went down with Wells and why he and Clarke had such issues. We got to find out about Bellamy and Octavia and Glass and Luke and their past discretion and what landed them on this ship.

I am excited to check out the next installment to see what happens. What is also cool is that the CW has picked this up as a show, although I haven't decided if I'm going to watch it yet. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see.
The Court's Decision:
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...