Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Crown of Midnight (Thrown of Glass #2)

Author: Crown of Midnight
Goodreads rating: 4.51
Pages: 420
Format: Final Copy BEA14
From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.

 This was a great sequel and I'm happy that the epic love triangle was still alive and well.

This is the ultimate beach book/series for me, because I can literally sit in a chair and soak up the sun all day and never get tired of reading it!

It took me a bit to remember what happened in the last book (since I read the last book last year at the beach) but once things got started to come back, I got right back into the swing of things.

The book focuses a lot on the relationship between Chaol and Celaena. This actually made me really happy in the beginning because I am all for the Chaol and Celaena duo, but I do love Dorian too and hopes he has his own special someone soon :) There were so many ups and downs with all the relationships throughout the book, it made me really hope for a happy ending for everyone (seriously though, it was breaking my heart)

Diverting away from the relationships that really make me sad, there were sooo many twists and mysteries that will really make your head explode! The mystery of the King's evil plans (dun dun dun) had me very intrigued (as well as the mysterious origin of the powers a certain loveable character gets. No spoilers here!) With all these unanswered questions, I can't wait to read more about it!!

You also get to see a very terrifying side of Celaena, which makes her even more badass in my opinion but also gets me right in the feels because you know that this side of her was born from years and years of pain and suffering and heart break :'( I'm really happy we get to learn a little more of Celaena's past in the book.

Lastily, don't plan anything once you get around the last 100 or so pages, because you will not be able to put the book down (or if you're like me become very testy if people try to interrupt you during those last few pages) You have been warned!

Overall, this book gets a 4.5/5 stars from me and I can't wait to read the next one! Seriously, I don't think I can wait until next summer to read it...

Court's Decision: 
 

2 comments:

  1. I loved this one too! And that ending. WOW, Celaena is such a badass and the sad parts really crushed my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this series! Glad to know so many people like it :)

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...