Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Waiting on Wedneday #2

(Brought to you by our friends at Breaking the Spine)

Author: Betsy Cornwell
Goodreads Rating: 3.84
Pages: 304
Release Date: August 25, 2015
Nicolette’s awful stepsisters call her “Mechanica” to demean her, but the nickname fits: she learned to be an inventor at her mother’s knee. Her mom is gone now, though, and the Steps have turned her into a servant in her own home.

But on her sixteenth birthday, Nicolette discovers a secret workshop in the cellar and begins to dare to imagine a new life for herself. Could the mysterious books and tools hidden there—and the mechanical menagerie, led by a tiny metal horse named Jules—be the key to escaping her dreary existence? With a technological exposition and royal ball on the horizon, the timing might just be perfect for Nicolette to earn her freedom at last.

Gorgeous prose and themes of social justice and family shine in this richly imagined Cinderella retelling about an indomitable inventor who finds her prince . . . but realizes she doesn't want a fairy tale happy ending after all.

Since this week's Top 10 Tuesday was about our favorite fairy tale retellings (aka one of my favorite books to read), it got me thinking about other retellings I wanted to read. I then stumbled upon this beauty!

Reading the description literally made my heart flutter. I steampunk retelling of Cinderella where Nicolette (aka Cinderella) is an inventor with the possibility of more than just a "princess" getting her prince? YES!!!

And how about that cover??? It looks GORGEOUS!!!

I absolutely can't wait to dive into this!!!

5 comments:

  1. I love the cover of this one, but something about the description has me putting the brakes on. I want to see some reviews first. I hope you love this one though!

    WOW
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm feeling this could go either way with me; I'll either love it or hate it. I'm hopping for the first options ;) but I'll def let you know!

      Delete
  2. I love retellings! This one sounds so cool and so different. Definitely adding it to my TBR!

    My Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindred souls! I'm hoping this is one I can add to my list of Great Retellings :) Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  3. I love Cinderella, so this one is on my list as well!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...