Sunday, November 1, 2015

How To Celebrate Halloween AFTER October 31st

Okay, so I'm not sure if you all know this but I am a HUGE Halloween fan.

I start getting ready around September 1st; stocking up on candy, popping in Hocus Pocus every chance I get, baking Pillsbury Shape Cookies...I'm in love with it.

And like every good Halloween lover, since I was about four, I've tried to drag Halloween night out for as long as possible after it was over. When I was little, I would limit myself to one Halloween candy a day (not that my parents followed that rule) or would watch Hocus Pocus and Halloweentown into mid-November.

But at 24, that's no longer cutting it. The day and night go by too quickly (especially since this year I've started working at my library) that I barely recognize it's arrival and even departure. Before I know it, it's November 1st and I'm scrambling to start NaNoWriMo.

Soooo, this year, I've decided to read my way past Halloween; to extend it as much as possibly by delving into a world where spooky stories and scary plots exist. By reading a steady stream of supernatural, spooky and other-worldly stories, it can be Halloween for as long as I want.

What you'll find below is the reading list I've created for myself and like-minded individuals so we can enjoy Halloween even as the Winter looms and snow begins to fall (unless you live in Southern California and then I envy you).

NIGHTMARES and NIGHTMARES: The Sleepwalker Tonic by Jason Segel, Kirstin Miller; Illustrated by Karl Kwasny

I'm dying to read this series. I met the authors at BEA last year and was so excited by the book. It looks like a fabulous middle-grade and the illustrations complete the books' image so well. I'm so glad that Random House Kids sent me the copies for review (along with candy!). This series will be just right to start off my extension of Halloween.

THE WITCH HUNTER by Virginia Boecker

I LOVED this book. It was so atmospheric. I was unable to tear my eyes away from the pages as I sped through it, so entranced with the world Virginia Boecker created. I am so there for revisiting this book again and I cannot wait for the sequel.

THE WITCHES: Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff

There are four different copies of this book on hold at my library right now and I just saw a spread in the New York Times' Book Review on it. Obviously, that got my attention. I think it looks fascinating.  I also might try it on audio. Either way, I think it's going to be captivating and I can't wait to see how well-researched it is.

HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN by J.K. Rowling

I cannot tell you why I feel that the third Harry Potter book reminds me so strongly of Halloween, even more so than the others. It also happens to be my favorite of the seven. I love the story of the Marauders so much. I also feel that this book is still a bit more innocent, even with impending death looming in the shape of a grim omen. I could probably reread this book every day for the rest of the year while eating pumpkin shaped Reese's and feel happy in the Halloween spirit.

THE T'WITCHES SERIES by  Randi Reisfield and H.B. Gilmour

This series made up my middle school life. I tore through them, with the exception of the last one which I still haven't read, in the Fall of 5th and 6th grade. I want to read them again just because they were such a magical reading experience for me around Halloween years ago. I totally recommend this series to anyone wanting to revisit a fun middle-grade series full of strong female girls and powerful female relationships. It's really great.

THE MEDIATOR SERIES by Meg Cabot

GUYS. THERE IS GOING TO BE A SEQUEL TO THIS SERIES AND IT'S EVERYTHING I WANT AND MORE.

I love this series. Like T'witches, I was hooked on this series when I was younger and read it around Halloween. I need to reread it again before the new book is out. This November seems like a great opportunity, right?

THE BONE SEASON and THE MIME ORDER by Samantha Shannon

My first ever BEA, this was the only book I wanted. I devoured it early that summer and have yet to read the sequel, which is blasphemous, I know. But this series is perfectly creepy and fascinating, the world-building is incredible. If you haven't read the beginning of this series, you need to.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: Tales Of The Slayers by Various

On the Halloweens that I didn't go out Trick Or Treating, I would coerce and cajole my friends into a Buffy marathon (or Supernatural). I couldn't decide on which book to place here (there are so many amazing Buffy tie-in novels!) but I always really enjoyed The Tales of The Slayer Series because of it's diversity and imagination.

THE GRAVEYARD BOOK by Neil Gaiman (or anything by Neil Gaiman)

I've been wanting to read this book for a while and I've heard great things about this one.

ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD by Kendare Blake

I had the pleasure of attending a panel with Kendare Blake. She's hilarious and so well-spoken. I have a feeling this spooky read may be just what I need.

BLOOD AND SALT by Kim Liggett

This book was also on hold a lot at my library the last few weeks. I've seen it on many of my friend's TBR lists on GoodReads too. I should really check it out.

COMPULSION by Martina Boone

Why, oh why, have I not read this book yet? It sounds like a me book. It's a perfect Fall book. I should get on it, ASAP.

A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES by Sarah J. Maas

Something tells me I should probably read her THRONE OF GLASS series first (if not for fear that my friends will take away all my other books if I don't read this already) but there's something about this book that seems Halloween-ish, right?

SIX OF CROWS by Leigh Bardugo

This one screams a good Halloween read to me. I also should probably finish The Grisha Trilogy first but I've heard that I could get away with reading this one even only if I've read SHADOW AND BONE. What do you think?

~*~

So, how did I do? Anything to add? Would you read any of these? Let me know!







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...